|Brennhausen the Village ??
In past centuries there were more houses at Brennhausen. Anton Rottmayer in
Statistisch-topographisches handbuch für den Unter-Mainkreis des königreichs
Bayern published in 1830 describes Brennhausen as having: one castle, seven
residences, one mill with two mill stones, ten families, 56 residents, 22 Catholics, 34
Protestants with the Protestants going to Sulzdorf for church and school and the
Catholics going to Obereßfeld.
In 1832, Johann Wilhelm Rost, described fifty-one inhabitants in twelve families lived
at Brennhausen. Ten of them were Catholic, thirty-six Lutheran, and five Jewish. The
Catholics went to church in Untereßfeld and the Lutherans in Sulzdorf.
Until 1848, Brennhausen had original jurisdiction over its own affairs. In 1915 (WWI),
Brennhausen had six residences besides the castle but only two were inhabited. The
other four were dilapidated. One ariel photo shows foundation shadows in the fields
|In 1957 the shepards’ cottage was still standing empty but a couple of years later a
severe storm damaged it so much that Josephine demolished it.
|Perhaps World War II age photo (note house on right in photo & painting -
house appears to be on bank overlooking moat where the sandbox is today)
|A digital restoration of the oldest known painting of Brennhausen. Note house in the moat.
|From the Geschicte der Familie der Freiherrn von Bibra by Wilhelm von Bibra 1870